Arsene Wenger says that he is paying no attention to critics who undermine Arsenal’s title challenge without any logical reasoning to back their theories.
The Gunners currently lead the Barclays Premier League by four points, but several media pundits are still unconvinced that they are capable of producing a sustained title challenge. But no matter what the haters say, Wenger isn’t bothered by them.
In a recent interview, when asked about the recent round of criticism being directed towards his club from the media, the Frenchman said: “Sometimes I watch them. Sometimes it’s just someone saying their opinion without an argument. I have enough experience to analyse what we do and how well we play. I don’t need someone else to tell me. I’m not upset by that at all.
“I take anything from anybody. I just try to analyse whether he has a point or not. Sometimes it’s just someone saying their opinion without an argument on something that makes sense. If it’s something based on hate or love, or just gut feeling then I just say ‘OK, it’s an opinion – he might be right, he might be wrong’. Often he doesn’t sustain his opinion by some work he has done to support that argument.
“If you just say ‘Arsenal will win the championship or Arsenal won’t win the championship because they haven’t won it for eight years’, then I think it’s just an opinion. When I arrived here, people explained I couldn’t win the title as I’m foreign. Everybody has their own logic. I just think you win the title through your quality. If we didn’t win for eight years, it’s because we weren’t good enough in the important moments of the season. We have a good opportunity to show we’re good enough so let’s take it.”
Morato and Pato Not Emirates-Bound – Wenger
Arsene Wenger has revealed there is no truth in rumours linking his club Arsenal with moves for Real Madrid starlet Alvaro Mora and Corinthians striker Alexandre Pato.
It was recently speculated in the press that the Gunners have already signed Morata on a six-month loan deal and are also trying to land Pato in a cut-price deal. However, Wenger has come forward to say: “There is no truth in that. That is all I can say, I have not been in touch with them. We have at the moment Yaya Sanogo who is a striker we brought in during the summer who is coming back from injury in January so hopefully he will help us in the second part of the season.”
When told about the rumour, Morata also rubbished it and made it clear that he is staying at Real Madrid.
Sagna Out of Hull City Clash
Bacary Sagna has picked up a hamstring injury and will not be featuring in Arsenal’s league clash with Hull City at the Emirates tonight.
The France international’s injury is not believed to be serious, and he is expected to recover by the weekend. In his absence, his understudy Carl Jenkinson will be deployed at the right side of Arsenal’s backline.
The news of Sagna’s injury was broken by Arsene Wenger, who said: “I believe we will lose Sagna who has a slight hamstring problem and he should be out for Wednesday’s game. You expect when you play so many games with that much intensity that you will lose one or two players. We have so many games that I always knew I’d have to make changes. Full-back is a demanding position.”
Lukas Podolski – who recently recovered from a hamstring injury of his own – will not play any part in the clash with the Tigers. About him, Wenger said: “Lukas Podolski should be back in normal training after the Hull game. He will then be available but he lacks match fitness. It will take at least a week with normal training to consider him fit for the squad.”
Vermaelen Exit Not Imminent – Wenger
Arsene Wenger has played down media reports suggesting Thomas Vermaelen is heading for Arsenal exit by revealing that the Belgian has never told him he wants to leave.
Vermaelen, 28, lost his starting role at Arsenal last season and hasn’t been able to win it back since then. This season, he has only played in six games for the first-team squad, fuelling reports that he might want to change clubs in January for the sake of his World Cup chances with the Belgian national team. However, Wenger doesn’t feel his club captain would ask for a transfer and is confident that he would still be at the club for the second half of the season.
He said: “It’s tough to leave Vermaelen out because of his quality, his attitude and his influence at the club. It’s a difficult decision to make because he is a top-class player. He certainly suffers but he handles it with great dignity and great professionalism. I’m not concerned that he might move in January because if he wants to do that he will come and see me, which he has not done.”
Ozil, Gibbs and Wilshere Set for Bench against Tigers?
Arsene Wenger could rest Mesut Ozil, Kieran Gibbs and Jack Wilshere in Wednesday night’s clash with Hull City due to the fear of burnout, claims Goal.com.
With fixtures expected to come thick and fast between now and January, the Gunners boss is apparently thinking about benching the aforementioned trio and using Theo Walcott, Nacho Monreal and one of Mathieu Flamini or Tomas Rosicky instead.
He hinted of his intentions in Tuesday’s press conference by saying: “I rotate considering the level of fatigue. I try to limit the number because I do not want to disrupt the balance of the team, so I do that in every single game. When you play so many games of that intensity, we expect to lose one or two players.
“We have some indications – my eyes, some objective data and, as well, some positions where it’s more demanding on the physical front than others. We have so many games that in some positions I will have to change; the full-back position is one that is very demanding. Central defence is a little bit less demanding on the physical side, it’s more on the concentration side.”
Mulumbu Accuses Media of Distorting His Comments
West Bromwich Albion midfielder Youssouf Mulumbu has distanced himself from media reports in which he allegedly claimed that Arsenal FC want to sign him in January.
France Football magazine recently published an interview in which the 26-year-old Congolese star severely criticised his WBA teammates and expressed his desire to leave, even claiming that he has offers from Arsenal.
But now he has come forward to accuse the magazine of misquoting him and distorting his comments. In a rejoinder that got published in The Times, Mulumbu said: “I did an interview with a French journalist but I’m not happy about how my answers have been reported. I would never refer to my team-mates that way. I just spoke about the fact we need to get better at controlling games after the point we’ve let slip recently.
“The general point I was trying to make is I want to play at the highest level possible. I admitted there has been interest in me from other clubs but I didn’t speak about Arsenal or say I would be looking to move in January.”