AW's got £30m in his sky-rocket

One or two mentions in the Sunday rags ahead of the game today in between lurid stories of John Terry and Wayne Bridge’s ex. Apparently, Bridge will refuse to play for England in the same team as Terry and now fans are praying he slept with Emile Heskey’s missus, too. Boom, boom!
But to matter less frivolous and the Mail carries a story suggesting Arsene Wenger has £30m to spend on new talent. The paper points out that injuries will deprive him of Robin van Persie, Eduardo, Abou Diaby, Thomas Vermaelen and Gael Clichy today but can splash the cash iif he so desires.
‘I think we are maybe the team who have brought through more young players than any other team in the country so that’s why, if you look forward, we are not in a position today where we have to spend £150m to build a team,’ said Wenger.
‘We have a team. If we have to add one, even at £30m, we can do it. If not, we can rely on what we have. It is not only about wanting to buy,’ said Wenger. ‘It is about finding better players than the ones we have available and we haven’t done so up until now.
‘It’s as simple as that. You always want to add Ronaldo if you can, but is he available? Chamakh is not available because he is playing with Bordeaux and they don’t want to release him. David Villa as well. Valencia don’t want to let him go now.
‘We have the best attack in the league, we scored more goals than anyone else, so that means if you can do that in the first 23 games of the season, why not in the remaining 15?’
The paper says David Villa’s £200,000 a week wage demand will rule us out of the running for him. ‘We have good rules here,’ said AW. ‘We manage the club within our financial resources and we have a very young team. We want to be the best and be ready for competition at the top level. We want to become the No 1 team in the country,’ said Wenger. But we know that the competition is always getting harder and harder.’
The News of the World says Denilson has ignited our biggest game of the season by vowing to ram Patrice Evra’s taunts down his throat.
It says the Brazilian wants revenge for last season’s crushing Champions League semi-final defeat, when United defender Evra described the contest as ‘men against boys’.
Denilson insists: “This season is a test of our character and we’re more experienced than last year. We learned against United in the Champions League when we lost both legs. I remember Evra saying it was men against boys. I don’t like to talk too much, I just want to show it out there.
“But we’re not boys any more. I’m a man and I will show that on the pitch. A lot of people say Arsene Wenger goes only for young players. Yes, we are young, but have players with experience. Cesc Fabregas is young but he is very experienced. You can’t call us kids any more. It doesn’t matter that I’m only 21. I need to show on the pitch that it does not matter how old I am.
“We have to win against United. It doesn’t matter how, whether it’s 1-0, 2-0, or whatever. It’s so important that we get the three points and win a trophy this season because five years is a long time without one.”His rallying cry was echoed by Arsenal boss Wenger. The Frenchman revealed: “Our target is to be the No 1 team in the country. But the competition gets harder each year.
“For a few years it was United, then Chelsea came along and now Manchester City are there as well. It becomes harder and harder but we manage the club within our resources. We’ve some of the youngest players in the country and are not in a position where we have to spend £150million to build a team. But we have the best attack in the league and have scored more goals than anybody.
AW says of United: “I won’t speculate on any weakness of United because they are too big an institution. United have always had special resources because of the size of the club, and if that changes then maybe they will have a different problem.  But even if they had bad financial problems, someone big would come in and buy them.”
The same paper says we have been checking on Real Madrid teenager Pablo Sarabia. The Spain Under-17 international could walk free from the Bernabeu this summer as he has not accepted a new contract. It adds that we have been scouting the teenager for 12 months and have been kept informed of developments by agent Gines Carvajal.
Sarabia, who turns 18 this summer, has spent most of this season in the Real Madrid B side. He also represented Spain in the recent Under-17 World Cup in Nigeria and was being watched by Liverpool two years ago.
Back to the Mail, and a yarn claiming Robin Van Persie is likely to give our title hopes a huge boost with a return to fitness in the middle of March, rather than the date of mid-April which had been previously forecast.
The Holland striker, who ruptured ankle ligaments against Italy in November, returned last week to training at Arsenal and is now walking freely again. And though his club manager, Arsene Wenger, has cautiously set April as a projected return date, doctors in Holland connected to the national team expect him to be ready to play in seven weeks.
That would mean Van Persie would be able to take part in the vital title run-in and participate in the Champions League quarter-finals if Arsenal eliminate Porto in the last 16. Although the Dutch are keen for Van Persie to play against the USA in a friendly in March, there is no chance of Arsenal releasing the player, given the acrimony between club and country over how the injury was treated in the first instance, says the paper.
If you fancy a pint before the game I’ll be in the Railway at Finsbury Park. Cheers and up the Gunners…

LOGIN to Comment
LOGIN to Comment