Jenkinson Trains with Three Lions Squad
Carl Jenkinson trained with the England squad on Sunday although it wasn’t an official call-up and he won’t be a part of the Three Lions squad for their upcoming World Cup qualifier against Poland.
England were using Arsenal’s London Colney training ground on Sunday and so Hodgson decided to use Jenkinson in order to give him some experience of the international setup. It should be noted that the 20-year-old right-back is widely expected to be called up for England’s next friendly game against Sweden in November.
“After speaking to Arsene [Wenger] I am also conscious that his rise has been meteoric. He’s only 20 and it’s nice to temper things a little bit, but he wouldn’t be out of place in the squad. Kieran Gibbs, like Jenkinson, has started very well for Arsenal,” Hodgson said of Jenkinson.
He added: “On this occasion, we decided to go with [Gibbs] and keep Jenkinson up our sleeves but he’ll be very much in our thoughts when it comes to the next friendly match.”
Madrid’s Lopez and Bilbao’s Llorente Linked with Arsenal Moves
Arsenal will move for Atletico Madrid’s unsettled striker Adrian Lopez if they fail to agree a contract extension with Theo Walcott, according to The People.
Lopez’s situation in Madrid is exactly the same as Walcott’s at Arsenal. The 24-year-old forward is in a contract dispute with the Los Rojiblancos and has featured sporadically so far this season. He has a release clause in his contract that could be triggered with a bid of £15million, and the publication claims that Wenger would be willing to do so if the club fails in securing the long-term future of Walcott.
Meanwhile, The Daily Mail claimed on Sunday that Wenger will be given a transfer war chest of £35million in January and he will use a major chunk of it to bring Athletic Bilbao’s Fernando Llorente to Arsenal.
Fulham Interested In Taking Arshavin For Free
Andrey Arshavin will be made available for free in January by Arsenal and the out-of-favour midfielder will join Fulham, according to The Sunday Express.
The Gunners are so desperate to get rid of the 31-year-old Russian’s wages that they are willing to let him walk away for free. While his former club Zenit St Petersburg are also interested in taking him back, the player wants to remain in London and that’s where Fulham comes into play.
Ox Relieved to Get Off the Mark for England
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, who scored his first goal for England in the 5-0 win over San Marino, says that he is relieved to have finally gotten off the mark.
The Arsenal winger revealed that he was getting tired of his dad Mark Chamberlain’s criticism about his international duck and he can finally rest easy now.
“It’s a relief to get the monkey off my back as they say. I’ve been looking for my first goal for England and my dad’s been pushing me, telling me I need to get a goal,” Oxlade-Chamberlain said.
Bordeaux Ready to Take Chamakh Back
Marouane Chamakh can end his Arsenal misery by returning to former club Bordeaux, the French outfit’s president Jean Louis Triaud has revealed.
The 28-year-old striker is not considered a major part of Arsenal’s first-team squad and has yet to feature for the club in any competition so far this season. He joined the Gunners in the summer of 2010 on a Bosman free transfer but didn’t live up to the expectations despite showing some early promise. He is expected to leave the club next year and Triaud says that he will always be welcomed at Les Girondins.
In an interview with Le 10 Sport, Triaud talked about Chamakh and said: “Chamakh? He knows when he wants to, he can return to Bordeaux – but he is happy in London. I see he is not on the score sheet and the media do not talk about him but he says nothing.
“Salaries are different in England, but last December I sent him a message to tell him that if you’re not happy in London, come home, and that message is still relevant today.”
Santos Would Consider Arsenal Exit
Arsenal defender Andre Santos has denied that his former club Fenerbahce have submitted a bid for him but admitted that he would consider his options if an actual offer arrives from the Turkish club.
The 29-year-old is currently second in the pecking order for the left-back spot behind the impressive Kieran Gibbs, and while he says that he is committed to the Gunners, he has hinted that a move back to the Istanbul club would interest him due to family reasons.
Addressing the rumour about Fener’s interest, Santos tweeted: “I would like to state clearly that I have a lot of respect for Fenerbahce, and I love Istanbul…but for now I am a Gunner.
“For now, I have not received an offer from a Turkish team. However, if I receive an offer one day, thinking what is best for my family, I will make a decision.”