Wenger attacks with all guns blazing...

Arsene Wenger is still smarting after the defeat in Porto in the Champions League and duly vents his spleen in this morning’s tabloids.
And the Sun carries a report claiming that AW once managed players who took bribes — no, not Lucasz Fabianski on Wednesday on this occasion — it is thought he is referring to his time in charge at Monaco.
The paper says AW’s admission came during a vitriolic attack on Swedish referee Martin Hansson for his performance in the 2-1 loss in midweek.
He said: “I believe that he is incompetent or dishonest – but I prefer to think that he is incompetent. I always am reluctant because, when you start to think like that in my job, you become paranoid. And I have seen much worse in my life – my own players were bought by opponents. And I didn’t become paranoid.
“You have to trust people in our job. I just said Hansson made mistakes. He (the ref) turned down our penalty appeal, a 100 per cent appeal and gives them a goal like that. A lot of things have to be clarified by UEFA about how they nominate referees for the games. They have to be more open.
>AW adds in the Mirror: “The referee takes the ball and says: ’OK, score the goal.’ How can you be a referee with common sense and give goals away like that in competitions like the Champions League? It makes a complete joke of the competition.
“On the free kick alone, he made five technical errors. The technical errors were first he did not give the free-kick at the point where it happened. Then he did not stand in the right position. Then he did not put the players at the proper distance.
“Then he should not have given a quick free-kick play once he is in the middle of the action. Also he didn’t raise his arm (for an indirect free-kick) until it was too late.
“In that particular incident that is five technical mistakes in the same moment of the game. He takes the ball five yards from the goal, puts it down and says: ’play and score.’ It is ridiculous.”Mauro Zarate could walk out of Lazio for nothing – putting Arsenal on alert – according to the Argentina striker’s agent.
Meanwhile, the Daily Mail tells us that Mauro Zarate could walk out of Lazio for nothing – putting Arsenal on alert – according to the Argentina striker’s agent.
Former Birmingham striker Zarate has been at loggerheads with his bosses at the Olympic Stadium and is threatening to follow Goran Pandev’s example of ripping up his contract.
Pandev, rated at £15million, was allowed to join Inter Milan on a free last month after a tribunal found his contract had been breached because of the way he was frozen out of the team.
And Zarate, who has previously been linked to the rip-roaring Gunners, as well as Liverpool and Manchester City, is fed up of being criticised and left on the bench.
Oh yes, almost forgot, we play Sunderland at home today and the Times reminds us that Manuel Almunia returns to the squad after injury. AW said that the need to gain ground on the top two means that he cannot rest Cesc Fàbregas.“I am worried. Cesc is under a lot of pressure for such a young boy.
He should be normally living in the shadow of the experienced players,” he said.
COYG!

Have something to tell us about this article?
Let us know