2007 has been an indifferent year for Arsenal. We have won nothing but got to the Carling Cup Final. This season we are top of the table due to a fantastic end to 2007. We have seen some brilliant matches, both home and away. Here are a selection to vote for:
1. Arsenal 7 Slavia Prague 0 (Champions League 07/08) – This match saw us play some of the best Football I have watched live. Some brilliant attacking football led one commentator to say it was “Football from another planet”. Two goals each from Theo Walcott and Cesc Fabregas, along with an own goal and one from Alex Hleb and Bendtner led to a thumping win in the group stages. We have won 7-0 on two other occasions in recent seasons but this was something special.
2. Arsenal 2 Manchester United 1 (Premier League 06/07) – This was one of the best turnarounds for a long time in a big game like this. Probably the first moment of real history in the new stadium and the first time the ground and the atmosphere felt like home. 1-0 down with 10 minutes go, Van Persie and Henry scored a goal each to raise the roof. “A great man (Henry), produces a great moment for Arsenal” was shouted from the commentary box.
3. Arsenal 3 Spurs 1 AET (Carling Cup 06/07) – After the youngsters drew 2-2 away at Spurs in the first leg with a brilliant comeback, the second string produced another great performance to see off a full strength Tottenham side. Arsenal had the chances to finish the game off in normal time but the away team levelled after Adebayor gave us the lead. With a few senior players thrown in, the tie was won in extra time and we were through to the final after Rosicky sealed the win.
4. Manchester United 0 Arsenal 1 (Premier League 06/07) – Man Utd were the clear favourites as Van Persie and Henry were ruled out. However, with a 5 man midfield, Arsenal kept the ball very well and had the better of the chances. After Gilberto missed a penalty Adebayor slid the ball into net after Fabregas’ fantastic pass. Cesc ran the midfield and was the clear man of the match. A brilliant team performance against the odds.
5. Blackburn 2 Arsenal 3 AET (Carling Cup 07/08) – The second team played Blackburn’s first team off the park in the first half and deservedly went 2-0 up through two great goals from Diaby and Eduardo; it could have been more! Blackburn were back in it just before half time with a dubious goal. They equalised soon in the second period but the youngsters held on and even though they were down to 10 men got to extra time. Many thought Blackburn had the legs and experience to win the tie but Eduardo’s second cool finish of the night put us through.
6. Reading 0 Arsenal 4 (Premier League 06/07) – Wenger agreed that it was one of the finest performance from an Arsenal side under him and it was nearly perfect. Some of the Football played was fantastic and 4-0 flattered Reading. Goals from Henry x2, Van Persie and Hleb gave us the victory but it was the football played throughout the 90 minutes that made this game so special.
7. Liverpool 3 Arsenal 6 (Carling Cup 06/07) – 3 days after beating Liverpool 3-1 in the FA Cup, the second team went there and were 4-1 up at half time. The game was end to end and took so many twists and turns. Baptista got 4 goals, something he never looked like doing in an Arsenal shirt and we ran them ragged. At 5-3 it looked like Liverpool might stage a comeback but that was short lived when Baptista killed the tie. Maybe the most crazy game of 2007?
8. Arsenal 6 Blackburn 2 (Premier League 06/07) – Having gone 1-0 down so many times that season before this game, it was brilliant to be 3-1 up at half time. Blackburn made it a game again at 3-2 before Van Persie killed the match with 2 quick goals. There was still time for Cesc to humiliate Savage – always fun – and the scoreline was emphatic.
9. Arsenal 1 Chelsea 2 (Carling Cup Final 06/07) – A wierd one to put in some might say due to the result. However, there is a reason the Arsenal fans were still singing after the final whistle. The young team had done us proud against the reigning Premier League Champions who were at full strength. We took the lead and really should have won the game, and would have, had Didier Drogba not been on the pitch.
10. Blackburn Rovers 0 Arsenal 2 (Premier League 06/07) – After some rather annoying antics from Robbie Savage, Gilberto was given his marching orders and the already difficult task was made harder. Toure gave us the lead with an awesome header which came from a gigantic leap. From then on, the team battled hard and the midfield in particular was brilliant. The victory was topped off by a real lesson in how to counter attack. Henry beat 4 men before combining with Fabregas to score a sublime goal.
These are just some of the games I could have put. Please leave a comment with your vote: either for one of these or for another game you have thought of.