Attacking midfielder Orkun Kokcu is on his way to Arsenal. according to reports emerging today. The tabloid tale suggests that the 19-year-old talent is heading to a summer move to the Gunners from Feyenoord after the Dutch outfit’s head coach Dick Advocaat confirmed that Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta was keen on recruiting the player for a fee expected to be in the region of £23million.
Feyenoord chief Advocaat is reported in the Daily Mail to have said that it
“seems that what I read is true, but no one has yet come to Feyenoord to make their interest clear. I think he fits in everywhere.”
It is said that Feyenoord would ideally like to retain the services of Kokcu – who has two Turkey U23 caps — but know full well that in reality they would struggle to match the wages he can attract from a move to London and would use the transfer fee to recruit once again and bolster their squad. Yet, it is reported, the Gunners aren’t the only club keen on Kokcu, with Spanish side Sevilla also monitoring his situation.
The news comes the day that Arsenal were told by the Premier League that their game at Manchester City had been postponed due to the coronavirus as a “precautionary measure”. The decision was made after it was revealed that a number of Gunners players (and some staff members) came into contact with Olympiakos owner Evangelos Marinakis (who has contracted the virus) when the teams clashed at the Emirates Stadium 13 days back. The group is now in self-isolation but with no symptoms of the virus.
An Arsenal statement explained:
“We identified that a number of players met the Olympiakos owner immediately following the game. The medical advice we have received puts the risk of them developing Covid-19 at extremely low. However, we are strictly following the government guidelines which recommend that anyone coming into close contact with someone with the virus should self-isolate at home for 14 days from the last time they had contact.
“The players will remain at their homes until the 14-day period expires. Four Arsenal staff, who were sitting close to Mr Marinakis during the match, will also remain at home until the 14 days are complete.
“As a further precautionary measure, whilst we do not believe there was any close contact with any other Arsenal guests or staff in the directors’ box restaurant, we are contacting them to advise they should follow the relevant advice if there has been any such contact. Everyone at Arsenal wishes Mr Marinakis a swift recovery and we look forward to the rest of the players and staff returning to work on Friday in preparation for our match at Brighton.”